Sunday 20 March 2011

Making my Contents Page

My research shows that each of the magazines had a column down one third, which I have recreated for my magazine. The left and centre thirds are in the same colour as the background of the front cover, while I have made the right hand third grey so it stands out. I used the rule of thirds on the front cover and so have continued onto the contents page.




I have then added the title 'contents' as well my main image in the bottom left hand corner. I have cut the image from the background as I found this is often done in the contents page. I have also placed an image of the front cover in the top right hand corner as Kerrang! magazine did this which I thought was a good idea and makes the contents page look realistic


I then wrote a list of articles in the grey column. I have used a font called Adobe Caslon Pro as I believe it looks similar the the title but adds variety to the page. The font can also be made bold which I have done for the name of the article, while the description is written in a regular style and in a pale grey colour, so it does not take over from the title.



I have written the featured articles (from the front cover) in first two thirds. Each title is seperated with a line to make it easier to read. Beneath the title I have added some text encouraging readers to subscribe which is in the same font as the text in the right hand column.





I decided to change the font of the numbers to match the text beside it as the original font did not link to any other font on this page.







Fonts

While making the magazine, I decided to use similar fonts to those on the front cover as I want the magazine to be consistent.

These include the font Trajan Pro which I have used for various parts of the front cover. I have also used the font 'capture it' for the word 'Elle' and the '+' sign and so have decide to use both on my contents page.



I originally wrote the headings 'featured' and the sub-headings in the font 'Capture it' as it is bold and clear like the fonts used for for titles on the magazines I have rearched. However, I decided to keep this font for the grey column only and made the font for 'featured' match the main title.

For the main title, I decided to use the same one that I used on the front cover to make it consistent and show that the contents page is from the same magazine.

Other features


I have written 4 article names under the heading 'features'. As they are the main features of the magazine I have put a star behind the numbers using the custom shape tool on photoshop. This makes the number stand out to the reader.




Next to the image of my front cover, I have written 'this week' to remind readers of the main topic of the magazine. Beneath I have written the issue number which is often seen on magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment